Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A funny thing happened today...

I managed to anger a student today. Not that this is an odd occurrence by any means, but the reaction and argument that ensued was, let's say, different.

This story needs a little preface: Last year, just about 2 months before I joined WW, a student was confused by a major assignment that I had just finished explaining. I caught her passing a note to another student, and like any other teacher, I took the note away from her. When I read it, the note said "I know, I hate her, I hate her stupid projects. Imagine how fat she would be if she got pregnant! GROSS!" And even though it was a 6th grade student, it still hurt. Part of my decision to join WW was because of this note.

Now, on to today's story. This student had a major attitude for the class period that I saw her. With Halloween and the festivities, I let a lot of the stuff she was saying go because it was just that kind of day. The staff was then given a list of students that were not allowed to participate in the upper-grades dance in the afternoon, and this one girl was on this list. She of course got angry, and said "Well, if I'm not allowed to go to the dance, I want my $3 back." I told her that I didn't know what the policy was, but since it was for disciplinary action that I doubted she'd get her money back . She then said "Damn Miss O shut your fatass up until you know what you're talking about." Rather than getting upset about what she said, I sent her to the office and she proceeded to get suspended for 3 days.

I started thinking. This time last year, I really *was* a fatass! As of now, I'm still overweight, but by no means a fatass... this was a major revelation to me!

No comments: